This Level I seminar will focus on working with children who have Attention deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and other learning disabilities (auditory processing disorder, dyslexia, dysgraphia, dysnomia, etc.) whether in school, clinic or home based sessions. Participants will explore the behavior and interactional patterns of these children and learn how to adapt play therapy strategies to work with this population. DVD illustrations of proven techniques will be incorporated into the play therapy training of self-control, attention span and social skills. Having a knowledge of these disorders is helpful but not necessary. Material will be discussed and given regarding how to teach parents to discipline more appropriately and successfully, and to interact more positively with their children and school personnel.
- List core symptoms of ADHD and two behavioral components of each
- Understand the therapeutic powers of play that are involved in play therapy for ADHD
- Learn how to use limit setting play therapy to help children with ADHD
- List 3 qualifications of the ideal play therapist for children with ADHD
- Know how play therapy treatment can help these children in general