This introductory course is designed to present a broad, state-of-the-art overview of the field of Play Therapy. Topics include: theories of play, therapeutic properties of play, developmental perspectives, history and major schools of Play Therapy, specific techniques and strategies, play equipment and materials, case illustrations, and research foundations. Videotapes of Play Therapy in action will supplement the didactic presentation. This is a core course.
- Have a basic knowledge of the major theories of play.
- Understand the therapeutic powers of play
- Have an understanding of the value of play therapy for children vs. talk therapy
- Learn a number of practical play therapy techniques
- Describe some different types of play therapy used with children
- Understand play and play therapy – how to initiate and facilitate.