Course Description:In the current managed care environment, psychotherapy is time limited. This workshop focuses on short-term play therapy techniques to help children gain mastery and competence and to resolve psychological difficulties. The therapist is trained to take a directive , active, focused stance to bring problems into the open and to help guide children in the resolution of these issues. Therapists learn to formulate a central theme, develop a contract, and select appropriate materials to facilitate this process. A ten-week program will be illustrated. Videotapes enhance the didactic presentation.
- Understand the reason Short-Term play therapy is needed in a managed care era.
- Learn how to apply short-term objectives and goals to a treatment plan
- Work with different diagnoses and how they can be treated in a short-term format.
- Discover how the major schools of psychology can be used in a short-term play therapy.
- Learn how to guide a child who has difficulties in school and/or at home with techniques.
- Understand how short-term play therapy can be done following most theories in play therapy.